12 November 2009

Not in the mood to root for a 6-6 season

Currently sitting at 3-6, my Illini have for the second consecutive season take the long road down the toilet bowl. What grinds my gears is that I hear people that still have the hope of becoming bowl eligible by going 6-6. Nevermind the fact that we will need wins against Northwestern (6-4), at Cincinnati (9-0), and Fresno State (6-3) to get to 6-6, which won't happen (repeat....WON'T happen), I'm talking about there being a sense of accomplishment of going 6-6.

This is what the over-population of bowls does to us. Yeah, there's a bunch of money going around and that's all well and good, but can you really feel good about making the postseason by have a .500 record? And what if you go to a bowl with a 6-6 record and lose? That means you end the season with a losing record. That should mean that your season was somewhat of a disappointment. And yet you went to a bowl. I just feel that there's something wrong with that.

Even in the case of Illinois, one of our wins (and ONLY one up until 2 weeks ago) was against Division I-AA Illinois State. So even if we win out, that would put our record at 5-6 against I-A opponents.

Ok, I'm done ranting. I'll close by saying so much for the last year of Juice-to-Benn. Hopefully OC Mike Schultz will realize once Juice graduates and all he has is the less mobile Jacob Charest (who by the way looked pretty good against Minnesota), he'll stop calling all those stupid QB draws and throw the damn ball downfield.

No comments:

Followers

 
free-website-hit-counters.com
free hit counter code